A Victorian man in his 90s has become the latest man to die from coronavirus in Australia.
The Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said the man in died in hospital overnight.
“He was in the care of one of our hospitals,” Mr Andrews said. “We send our condolences and our best wishes to his family and loved ones. For his friends, this will be a very difficult day for them and we send our sympathies to each and every person affected by that tragedy.
“Out of respect for the family, I will provide no further details as to that person’s identity or any further details about that case.”
The death comes as the state of Victoria is grappling with a spike in new coronavirus cases — recording an average of 90 new cases per day across the last five days.
The Victorian man is the 21st person to die from coronavirus in Victoria.
It takes the national death toll to 105.
The number of cases spiked again today when the Premier announced a record 127 new cases of the virus had been detected in the state in the last 24 hours.
RELATED: Follow live coronavirus updates
Nine public housing towers were placed into a hard lockdown for a five-day period on Saturday in response to the outbreak, however, legal experts believe the lockdown could extend for up to two weeks.
The 3000 residents in the towers in Flemington and North Melbourne have complained of poor communication from the state government, and having inadequate food and resources while confined to their apartments.
“It is not pleasant,” Mr Andrews conceded on Monday.
“I know it’s challenging, it is very challenging, but it is far preferable to seeing vast numbers of people with underlying health conditions infected with this virus, spreading it between each other and the inevitable tragic outcomes that will come from that.”
Originally published as Victorian man dies from coronavirus