Long Eaton primary school fire ‘was accidental’

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionVideos show extent of Long Eaton junior school fire

A blaze that destroyed a school started accidentally, a fire service has said.

Harrington Junior School, in Long Eaton, Derbyshire, was gutted in the fire on Thursday afternoon.

No children were inside at the time and everyone got out safely, with two people treated for minor burns.

A spokeswoman for Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was “most likely caused by hot works taking place on site as part of ongoing refurbishment”.

Image copyright
PA Media

Image caption

The school was evacuated and everyone was accounted for

A school statement said: “[It] has been an extremely difficult day.

“We cannot thank [the emergency services] enough for their work and efforts in trying to save our school. But, it is with regret, that this has not been possible.”

It added that staff were “devastated” and “kind messages of support and generous gifts… have been touching”.

A fundraiser for staff and pupils has raised more than £1,000.

Image copyright
DFRS

Image caption

Firefighters said they tried “really hard” to save the school but the blaze had taken hold

Ann Breen, whose son, Adam, is a pupil in Year 3, said: “I was heartbroken when I heard about it. I could see the smoke from my house as I only live a couple of streets away.

“My son was really looking forward to being back at school with his friends and teachers. He had been attending during lockdown and had been there on Wednesday which I think upset even more.”

Naomi Platkiw’s two children had attended the school and said they were “devastated” to see the fire.

“All the memories are there, all the artwork is on the walls and people’s hearts and souls are there,” she said.

“Some of the staff have worked there for years, and just the outcry from parents and people within the community who have been there themselves shows what a huge loss it is.”

Image copyright
Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service

Image caption

The fire service said the blaze had been accidental during refurbishment works at the school

Dean Gazzard, from the fire service said: “Workers carrying out the refurbishment of the school did everything they could to contain the fire and prevent its spread before the arrival of firefighters.

“Fire crews worked in extreme heat and challenging conditions, but despite everyone’s efforts, the school was totally destroyed by the rapidly spreading fire.”

Two firefighters who sustained minor injuries at the scene have now been released from hospital.

Follow BBC East Midlands on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. Send your story ideas to .

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *