Job title: Technical Specialist – Motor Control and Calibration
Company: Karma Automotive
Job description: Overview
Karma Automotive, founded in 2014, is a southern California based producer of luxury electric vehicles. Headquartered in Irvine, CA, Karma sells vehicles via its dealer network in North America, Europe, South America and the Middle East. Karma’s production facility (referred to as Karma’s Innovation and Customization Center) is located in Moreno Valley, CA and offers world-class customization, and manufacturing services along with electrification platforms. Karma’s flagship vehicle, the Revero® GT, was awarded Green Car Journal’s 2020 Luxury Green Car of the Year™. In 2021 Karma announced the GS-6 Series which include an extended-range series hybrid EV and their first-ever all-electric vehicle. Every Karma vehicle is created with unparalleled individual care and craftsmanship and combines leading technology with a luxury experience.
The Technical Specialist – Motor Control & Calibration is a key technical contributor to the design and development of control algorithm and firmware programming for motor drive inverters, DC-DC converters, on-board charge, and solar panel boost converter for current and future electric powertrains.
- Technically lead design and development of control design, firmware programming, and calibration of our electric propulsion system.
- Study topology of existing embedded system, as well as alignment to vehicle level requirement.
- Analyze, model, simulate, and design controller for our motor drive unit, from device level, to subsystem, to vehicle level.
- Coordinate with Power Electronics design team to meet the functionality plan of entire drive module.
- Support electric machine engineers on motor/generator characterization.
- Support power electronics team with vehicle level testing, integration, and issue debugging.
- Evaluate overall conformance and address deficiencies by testing and calibration of control algorithm on model, Hardware-in-the-loop (HIL), high voltage dynamometer, and test vehicle.
- Design motor control algorithm for optimal performance and guaranteed control stability in closed-loop torque/speed/current control regulation, space vector modulation, and field-weakening.
- Support the HW design and rapid prototyping the power electronics modules.
Character traits and related responsibility:
- Work with all levels of management, communicate directly with management and cross-functional leaders as required.
- Must display ability to identify problems, recommend solutions, and negotiate and execute contingency plans.
- Must be able to accept personal responsibility and accountability for major analytical and planning assignments.
- Strong teamwork skills. Able to develop consensus, move the program forward, and develop win-win situations.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- MS or PhD in Electrical Engineering with specialty in power electronics, motor control, or control theory.
- Extensive Model Based Design experience utilizing Matlab/Simulink/Stateflow.
- 5+ years or more of demonstrated progressive responsibility and hands-on experience with Electric or hybrid electric vehicle’s powertrain systems (e.g. inverter, converter, charger, engine, or battery).
- 5+ years of demonstrated hands-on experience with modern and classical control system theory.
- Hands-on experience with Simulink modeling and dSPACE TargetLink Hardwarein-the-Loop (HIL).
- Ability to identify problems, recommend solutions, and negotiate and execute contingency plans.
- Demonstrated understanding of vehicle development and system integration process .
- Knowledge of control systems in Electric Vehicles (EV) or Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV).
- Hands-on experience with electrical control systems design, validation, testing, and diagnostics.
- Familiar with automotive industry standards for electronics design and manufacturing.
- Familiar with electronic circuit board design and development.
- Knowledge of Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) of hybrid vehicle systems.
- CAN communication tools experience (Vector CANalyzer, Kvaser, etc.)
Preferred Qualifications (in addition to required):
- MSc/PhD in Electrical Engineering with specialty in Power Electronics.
- Extensive Model Based Design utilizing Matlab/Simulink and DSP programming experience.
- Multiple peer-reviewed technical publications – Power Electronics or Electric Machines.
- Extensive C/C++ programming experience on DSP processors (e.g. TI Delfino and Infineon TC).
- Demonstrated progressive responsibility and hands-on experience with automotive OEM high voltage electrical systems (e.g. inverter, converter, charger, or battery) used in EV or PHEV.
- Experience managing early-stage or growth-mode teams, especially in Power Electronics.
- Strong expertise in automotive power electronics – Inverter, DC-DC Converters, etc.
- Demonstrated understanding of automotive energy storage subsystems (HV Battery) and it’s controls.
- Powertrain system knowledge including engine, motor, battery, and brake control.
- Practical experience with Diagnostics verification and compliance.
- Significant experience in Electric or PHEV development & system integration.
- Functional safety ISO26262.
- Basic knowledge of Quality Management Systems (ISO 9001:2015) and Environmental Management Systems (ISO 14001:2015), as applicable.
NO Third parties. Principals only please.
Join Karma as we transform transportation and mobility with innovative teamwork.
Karma Automotive LLC is an equal employment opportunity (EEO) employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender identity and expression, color, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy or related conditions (including breastfeeding), national origin/ancestry, religion, military/veteran status, genetic information, citizenship status or any other characteristic and group protected by applicable law. Karma Automotive LLC complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act to ensure equal access to all qualified individuals with a physical or mental disability. Valid driver’s license may be required based on essential duties.
Location: Irvine, CA
Job date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 23:09:30 GMT
Apply for the job now!