Job title: Senior Director – Securities, Commodities & Derivatives | Economic Consulting
Company: FTI Consulting
Job description: What makes us unique? With more than 6,000 employees located in offices in every corner of the globe, we are the firm our clients call on when they are facing their greatest challenges and opportunities. FTI Consulting is an independent global business advisory firm dedicated to helping organizations manage change, mitigate risk and resolve disputes: financial, legal, operational, political & regulatory, reputational and transactional. Individually, each practice is a leader in its specific field, staffed with experts recognized for the depth of their knowledge and a track record of making an impact. Collectively, FTI Consulting offers a comprehensive suite of services designed to assist clients across the business cycle – from proactive risk management to the ability to respond rapidly to unexpected events and dynamic environments.
About the Role
The Securities, Commodities and Derivatives practice advises clients across securities, commodities and derivatives on a wide range of transactional, advisory and contentious matters and provides them with innovative, analytical and strategic solutions at critical times.
We combine deep industry knowledge and academic rigor: our team is made of true experts. They have contributed to the theory, written seminal books on derivatives, traded global markets across asset classes, built and managed leading trading businesses in major financial institutions, and advised on high- profile transactions and litigation in global capital markets and commodity trading groups. Our unique combination of quantitative and trading expertise across asset classes and proprietary analytics and risk management technologies give us an unparalleled ability to support clients in complex advisory engagements and litigation matters related to securities, commodities and derivatives.
Our work includes independent expertise and testimony in disputes, litigation and arbitration; complex valuation matters including structured derivatives and customized business valuation; transactions (e.g. M&A) and restructuring advisory; risk management and derivatives hedging advisory; business transformation; integrated due diligence; independent business review; and quantitative solutions. Our clients are broker dealers, asset managers, hedge fund managers, private equity firms, regulators, legislators, brokers, commodity traders, energy companies (including upstream, midstream and downstream operators), and mining and metal processing firms.
Director positions in SCD based in New York
What You’ll Do
Directors are primarily involved with the Securities, Commodities and Derivatives practice team but may be involved with other practices at FTI, with a focus on the financial, commodity and energy markets.
Directors have a central role on projects, taking day-to-day responsibility for delivery, organisation of the work into streams, and the effective coordination of Consultants and Senior Consultants. Typically, Directors will develop, along with Senior Directors and more senior project team members, the approach to projects, or parts of large projects, and are responsible for anticipating, identifying and resolving issues and keeping Senior Directors informed of progress. Directors are responsible for the preparation of formal reports, including their structure and content.
Directors will develop and manage a network of professional relationships with clients and others.
The role will also involve:
- supporting the senior team with writing articles and preparing proposals and presentations for new opportunities.
- performing research and collaborating in the implementation of proprietary valuation and risk management solutions; and
- developing practical and effective solutions to address client issues, by bringing industry insight and experiences.
Suitable candidates will be problem-solvers who enjoy developing and applying bespoke approaches to solve complex, unstructured problems in a logical and structured manner. Candidates will have strong analytical skills; be able to explain their work and communicate their conclusions and findings clearly, both orally and in writing; and be able to draw upon their experience of applying principles to solve problems in practice. The ideal candidate will have an eye for both the big picture and great attention to the finer detail.
The qualifications and experience that we typically look for in Directors candidates:
- MS/MSc, PhD in a quantitative discipline (finance, mathematics, physics, engineering, etc.);
- 6+ years relevant work experience in economic or securities consulting, quantitative finance, derivative valuation or risk management roles in a broker-dealer, an asset manager or an energy/commodity trader. Prior work experience in an advisory capacity and prior experience at delivering projects in a contentious context (litigation, arbitration, investigations or disputes) or in an advisory context (e.g., risk-management, transactions advisory) are considered a plus;
- Sufficient relevant professional experience to demonstrate the ability to be an effective SCD Director and alignment with our firm’s values of integrity, creativity, achievement, respect and empathy; and
- Experience with Python required
- This role requires travel to clients and FTI offices.
In addition, the following knowledge and competencies are desired:
- the ability to communicate effectively and authoritatively, verbally and in writing, both internally and with clients. The candidate should have experience writing and structuring reports, and acting as a regular day-to-day contact for clients;
- a good understanding of financial instruments and derivatives valuation and risk management techniques across asset classes (equity, fixed income, credit, foreign exchange, interest rates, commodities, energy);
- the capacity to critically evaluate and compare different sources of information and assumptions to assess reliability;
- the ability to develop and apply robust methods to address complex economic and/or financial issues;
- the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, meeting deadlines whilst having to rely on inputs provided by others;
- the ability to report and interact with all levels in an organisation (finance, legal, marketing, operations, IT);
- familiarity with global financial market policies and regulations is considered an advantage;
- proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint; and
- a working knowledge of database systems and financial data providers (e.g. Bloomberg, Thomson Reuters).
Apart from the well-structured career path and excellent team environment, our employees enjoy a variety of perks and benefits. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Competitive salary and bonus plans
- Generous paid holidays, time off and parental leave
- Full package of benefits plans
- Company matched 401K
- Annual paid volunteer hours
- Corporate matching for charitable donations
- Potential for flexible working arrangements
- Free snacks and drinks
- Upscale offices close to public transportation
- Pet insurance
About FTI Consulting
What makes us unique? With more than 6,250 employees located in offices in every corner of the globe, we are the firm our clients call when their most important issues are at stake. Regardless of what level you are, you will have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from top experts in your field on high-profile engagements that impact history. Our culture is collaborative, and we value diversity, recognition, development and making a difference in our communities.
FTI Consulting is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange and has been recognized as a Best Firm to Work For by Consulting magazine and one of America’s Best Management Consulting Firms by Forbes. For more information, visit and connect with us on ( ), and .
FTI Consulting is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
- Citizenship Status Accepted: USA Citizenship, Permanent Resident
- Exempt or Non-Exempt?: Exempt
Location: New York City, NY
Job date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 06:18:47 GMT
Apply for the job now!