Job title: Research Technologist (Chemistry)
Company: Kansas State University
Job description: About This Role:
The Department of Chemistry is hiring a research technologist. This position designs, constructs, tests, and repairs novel scientific apparatus and instruments and also designs and modified research laboratories. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Design and fabrication of instrument components and apparatus
- Design, construct and test novel scientific apparatus for use in both teaching and research laboratories by employing common methods of metal or plastic machining, welding, brazing, bonding, or 3D printing, and basic woodworking.
- Work with faculty, postdoctoral associates, and graduate students to design and construct apparatus for research group needs.
- Machining must be accurate to within design specifications, net and deburred.
- Welding, brazing, sandblasting, and painting will be done as necessary such that a high-quality product is produced.
- Maintenance of physical infrastructure and equipment
- Solve problems with, maintain, and repair commercial and home-built apparatus.
- Provide service for departmental vacuum pumps.
- Design and make modifications to cabinets and fixtures in research and teaching laboratories
- Maintain building compressed air and water filtration systems
- Create replacement parts when repair parts are no longer available
- Assist faculty in setting up laboratories
- Provide basic training in design and fabrication to researchers
- Assist in interactions with University Facilities personnel
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off – vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit:
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
The College of Arts and Sciences seeks to foster diversity in a commitment to recruit, retain and resource peoples historically under-represented in university education in the United States. Fostering diversity goes beyond increasing the numbers of underrepresented students, faculty, and staff. It also includes a commitment to substantial curricular offerings, resources, and programming that foregrounds the knowledge, perspectives, cultures, and histories of marginalized communities. A truly diverse college culture and structure will benefit all members of the university community to better serve and excel in an increasingly global and multicultural world. The University is dedicated to promoting the .
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Associate degree with advanced courses in instrument design and construction
- Two or more years of relevant experience
- This position may use an educational equivalency as determined relevant by a hiring manager
- Precision machine tool training
- Training and experience in classical machining techniques on lathe and mill for machining of metals, plastics, and graphite
- Basic woodworking skills
- Knowledge of CAD software and methods
- Ability to work with students in fabrication of apparatus for advanced scientific research projects
- All K-State employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (unless granted an exemption by the university) by their first day of employment. To learn more about this requirement and potential exemptions, please visit K-State’s COVID-19
. * Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents: * Cover letter indicating past work history and how it is relevant to the qualifications listed above
- Current resume
- Names and contact information for three professional references
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range:
$ 21.63 – $ 24.04 per hour
Review of Applications Begins:
Immediately. For best consideration, apply by December 10, 2021.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Nov 22, 2021 Central Standard Time
Applications close: Dec 10, 2021 Central Standard Time
Expected salary: $21.63 – 24.04 per hour
Location: Manhattan, KS
Job date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 01:37:23 GMT
Apply for the job now!