Job title: DISTRIBUTED COMPUTER SYSTEMS SPECIALIST – 48007283 (BLIND SERVICES)
Company: State of Florida
Job description: Requisition No: 452879
Agency: Department of Education
Working Title: DISTRIBUTED COMPUTER SYSTEMS SPECIALIST – 48007283 (BLIND SERVICES)
Position Number: 48007283
Posting Closing Date: 11/05/2021
DIVISION OF BLIND SERVICES
LOCATION: DAYTONA BEACH
SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF A LEVEL 2 BACKGROUND SCREENING IS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT.
CANDIDATES ARE TYPICALLY HIRED AT THE MINIMUM SALARY.
ALL EMPLOYMENT GAPS MUST BE EXPLAINED AND INCLUDED WITH WORK HISTORY WHEN APPLYING.
The incumbent in this position will work as a Distributed Computer Systems Specialist in the DBS Information Technology unit and be centrally located at the Daytona Beach DBS Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired. The incumbent will maintain, repair, support, and configure desktop and server operating systems. They will assist with server applications, network back-ups, data transmission networks, and security systems. They will maintain user network and email/group/distribution lists and accounts. They will configure user shares/groups/permissions, log-on scripts, network printers and other centrally managed information resources. They will work with monitoring system performance, controls, capacity, event logging and security. They will assist with the promotion and enforcement of policies, procedures, and controls related to assigned areas. They will assist in disaster recovery plan testing, and maintenance.
Examples of Work:
- Serves as the primary Help Desk resource for the Daytona Beach campus.
- Provide Braille and Talking Books Library recording network support, WSUS/AV/DBT encryption management.
- Provide Daytona Beach campus student network support.
- Handle field office Client Lab support (currently PB/SUN/PEN/TAM/JAX).
- Provide onsite support for technology training and do presentations in Daytona Beach when required.
- Handle the Daytona Beach student network SCCM/MDT/WSUS/AV management.
- Work with the student network Adobe Acrobat/WSUS/etc. patch management.
- Handle the Daytona Beach campus security card enrollment.
- Work with the Daytona Beach campus property inventory.
- Maintain lists of available spare equipment for field offices.
- Maintain and perform demonstrations of equipment in the technology lab.
- Coordinate client equipment purchases with district offices (Premier Page Dell) standardizing quotes and working with district offices ensuring the best value.
- Work with Daytona Beach accessibility software (Zoom-Text and JAWS) licensing the current equipment and making sure it is accounted for.
- Manage laptop CRP endorsement accessibility testing (prep and lockdown laptops – CRP’s).
- Service as the Liaison between instructional staff and divisional IT team.
- Serves as primary resource on the DBS Statewide “Help Desk.”
- Provides both telephone/e-mail and hands-on technical assistance for all users of the DBS information system.
- Provides assistance and mentoring as needed to other technical staff to ensure successful operation of the help desk.
- Maintains professional understanding and ability to support accessibility hardware and software.
- Resolves user problems with application software.
- Determines the causes of hardware failures and arranges for repairs on a timely basis.
- Provides the Daytona Beach District Campus with helpdesk phone/email/onsite support.
- Provides statewide helpdesk phone/email support.
- Handles the Daytona Beach campus phone system MCAD requests and provides support.
- Troubleshoots the Daytona Beach campus printer/embosser/copier and provides support as needed.
- Handles workstation OS image creation.
- Handles MDT deployment and PXE boot imaging process.
- Travels to DBS field offices for onsite work as needed.
- Lifts 40+ lbs (ability to move a laser printer) and handles ordering (via UPS), moving and storing battery replacements as needed.
- Provides RCM application support (maintains understanding of the system and assists users when needed).
- Provides back-up for SCCM/WSUS/EPO management.
- Assists with Daytona Beach campus VM backup processes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, skills and abilities, including utilization of equipment, required for the position:
Reading comprehension, writing, active listening, English language, communications, critical thinking, information gathering and organization, mentoring, troubleshooting, technology and systems design, computer security, mathematics, flowcharting, operations analysis, planning, customer service, accessibility issues, DBS specific custom applications, equipment selection, problem identification, idea generation, decision making, ability to master new technologies quickly, understands accessibility issues and assistive technology.
Has the ability to work individually and as part of a team. Attends all assigned meetings; provides feedback on areas of improvement, and new services. Has the flexibility to travel to field locations for server, network, desktop installation, support, office moves, etc. Has the ability to install, configure, and support the Microsoft Office Suite which includes Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Access. Installs, configures and troubleshoots Windows operating systems, including Windows 10 and Server 2016. Diagnoses network and computer hardware issues, memory, and other peripheral devices; troubleshoots and corrects connection issues with database applications. Skilled in creating, deleting, and maintaining user network accounts in a Windows Active Directory server environment, creates user accounts, and maintains distribution lists as well as inventories. Knowledge of SCCM, desktop deployment, Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), GPO deployment. Knowledge and ability to provide support to users via telephone and email and willingness to learn about adaptive technologies such as screen readers and magnification programs.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and one year of experience in computer systems analysis, computer programming, or in planning or designing distributed computer systems; or
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course of study in one of the computer sciences or in management information systems; or
- Two years of experience as described above and either (1) completion of a 720-classroom hour program of study from a vocational/technical school or accredited community college in an area of data processing (excluding data entry), or (2) 60 semester or 90 quarter hours of college course work from an accredited institution which includes four courses in computer science or management information systems.
- Experience as described above can substitute on a year-for-year basis for the required college education.
- Completion of a one-year program of study from a vocational/technical school in an area of data processing (excluding data entry) can substitute for one year of the required experience.
To be considered for a position with the Division of Blind Services:
- All fields in the candidate profile must be completed.
- Work history, hours worked, and formal education fields must be filled out to determine qualifications for this position. Putting “see resume” does not substitute for completing all sections of the candidate profile.
- Responses to qualifying questions must be verifiable in the candidate profile. Not all applicants will be interviewed. Preference will be given for qualifying veterans, employees in layoff status and qualified candidates based on a review of their overall scores, KSAs, primary and supplemental applications, as well as completion of any required work samples, willingness questionnaires, and behavioral/personality/skills tests, and interview responses, as applicable. References and file reviews from previous employment will be verified to determine suitability.
- Resumes and other documentation can be attached to provide additional information.
- Individuals lacking the ability to competently do the job and those who are unable to positively contribute to a productive team environment, need not apply.
- The successful candidate must be able to pass a Level II Background screening.
- All previous periods of employment must be listed and accounted for.
The Florida Division of Blind Services is committed
to increasing recruitment and hiring of Veterans and individuals with disabilities and
improving employment outcomes.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE. Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes, candidates eligible for Veterans’ Preference will receive preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are encouraged to apply. Certain service members may be eligible to receive waivers for postsecondary educational requirements. Candidates claiming Veterans’ Preference must attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4) along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7, Florida Administrative Code. Veterans’ Preference documentation requirements are available by clicking . All documentation is due by the close of the vacancy announcement.
Expected salary: $42000 per year
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Job date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 06:00:29 GMT
Apply for the job now!