Queensland coronavirus: One new infection, aged-care visitor restrictions


Queensland has recorded one new coronavirus infection overnight, with the state’s total rising to 1085.

Chief health officer Jeannette Young said the case was a man in his 20s who returned to Queensland from overseas on Friday.

She said the man was in hotel quarantine and had flown into Maroochydore from Sydney on Friday on flight JQ790.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said she was “very comfortable” with the figures from overnight.

She said 105 residents and staff from the Bolton Clarke aged care facility in Pinjarra Hill had been tested overnight, with 104 returning negative results, which she said was a fantastic result.

“Police went out and checked 383 licensed premises right throughout the southeast and Queensland as well, making sure people were doing the right thing and the reports are that the police are very comfortable with what they have seen overnight,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

Queenslanders are listening, we’re doing the right thing, we are in a bit of uncharted waters at the moment but we’ve got through things worse than this before.”

The Sunshine State now has 13 active cases following a weekend testing blitz, with multiple cases stemming from two women who allegedly lied to authorities on their return from interstate hot spots and then tested positive to coronavirus.

Cleaners on the grounds of Chatswood Hills school in Springwood were a third confirmed coronavirus case had worked. Picture: NewsWire / John Gass
media_cameraCleaners on the grounds of Chatswood Hills school in Springwood were a third confirmed coronavirus case had worked. Picture: NewsWire / John Gass

A husband and wife have since tested positive, with the woman feared to have worked a shift at a Brisbane nursing home while infectious.

Dr Young said there were zero new infections related to the two women who visited Melbourne.

She said she it wasn’t essential for Queenslanders to wear masks and it “far more important” to maintain social distancing.

“If people wish to wear masks, of course they can but I don’t think it’s essential at this point in time,” Dr Young said.

More than 13,700 Queenslanders were tested in the past 24 hours, taking the total to more than 500,000.

It comes as visitors to aged-care homes in southeast Queensland will be banned from midday on Sunday due to the increased risk of coronavirus infection.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk speak to the media. Picture: Annette Dew
media_cameraQueensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk speak to the media. Picture: Annette Dew

The new restrictions apply to residential aged-care facilities in the municipalities of Brisbane, Ipswich, Logan, Redland, Gold Coast and Scenic Rim.

Under the new measures only people providing an essential purpose will be allowed to enter, and must wear a single use surgical face mask, but end of life visits will still be allowed.

Originally published as Queensland records one new case



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *